Friday, March 30, 2012

Index tuning wizard

I'm having trouble getting the above to do what I want. I pulled a trace
table on a 2000 server. There were a couple of thousand of (mostly) stored
proc runs pulled into it. I selected all tables but when it ran it failed
with a rather cryptic "An error occurred trying to run a sql statement".
I'm wondering if the wizard can handle stored procs? Especially ones that
are executed strings which the developers rely on heavily here?CLM,
Try to reduce the size and scope of the workload file. I've had individual
statements cause the ITW to fail in the past.
This may also help in general:
http://www.sql-server-performance.com/index_tuning_wizard_tips.asp
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/tunesql.mspx
HTH
Jerry
"CLM" <CLM@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5D0F2A95-C89D-4558-83CF-D2F540B87CA0@.microsoft.com...
> I'm having trouble getting the above to do what I want. I pulled a trace
> table on a 2000 server. There were a couple of thousand of (mostly)
> stored
> proc runs pulled into it. I selected all tables but when it ran it failed
> with a rather cryptic "An error occurred trying to run a sql statement".
> I'm wondering if the wizard can handle stored procs? Especially ones that
> are executed strings which the developers rely on heavily here?|||But if it can't handle stored procs that execute strings, then I'm not sure
it's worth it? I'd have to build these by hand and by the time I do that I
can probably analyze it manually.
Thx for the help...
"Jerry Spivey" wrote:
> CLM,
> Try to reduce the size and scope of the workload file. I've had individual
> statements cause the ITW to fail in the past.
> This may also help in general:
> http://www.sql-server-performance.com/index_tuning_wizard_tips.asp
> and
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/tunesql.mspx
> HTH
> Jerry
> "CLM" <CLM@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5D0F2A95-C89D-4558-83CF-D2F540B87CA0@.microsoft.com...
> > I'm having trouble getting the above to do what I want. I pulled a trace
> > table on a 2000 server. There were a couple of thousand of (mostly)
> > stored
> > proc runs pulled into it. I selected all tables but when it ran it failed
> > with a rather cryptic "An error occurred trying to run a sql statement".
> > I'm wondering if the wizard can handle stored procs? Especially ones that
> > are executed strings which the developers rely on heavily here?
>
>|||On Fri, 26 May 2006 11:10:01 -0700, CLM wrote:
>But if it can't handle stored procs that execute strings, then I'm not sure
>it's worth it? I'd have to build these by hand and by the time I do that I
>can probably analyze it manually.
>Thx for the help...
Hi CLM,
You can set up a profiler trace, run some of your SQL, then let the ITW
analyze the output from the trace.
Check BOL to find out what events you have to include in your trace for
the ITW.
--
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVPsql

No comments:

Post a Comment