Sunday, February 19, 2012

Index Changes

I have a SQL Server 2000 database that I needed to changes the fields in the
cluster index. Before I was able to drop the cluster index I had to drop
several foreign keys constraints. I was able to add cluster index with the
correct fields.
Next I add back the foreign key constraints. Lastly I updated statistics on
the table with the cluster index change.
Should the update statistics be applied to tables that foreign key
constraints were dropped and added to complete the index change?
Thank You,No need to update statistics after you have created an index. The statistics are created with the
index create. Also, no need to change anything on the referencing tables either.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
"Joe K." <Joe K.@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:530A150C-DAEB-4CB8-B537-A32BF28F04B6@.microsoft.com...
> I have a SQL Server 2000 database that I needed to changes the fields in the
> cluster index. Before I was able to drop the cluster index I had to drop
> several foreign keys constraints. I was able to add cluster index with the
> correct fields.
> Next I add back the foreign key constraints. Lastly I updated statistics on
> the table with the cluster index change.
> Should the update statistics be applied to tables that foreign key
> constraints were dropped and added to complete the index change?
> Thank You,

No comments:

Post a Comment